Full family packing list for Italy. Learn what to pack for Italy and what you can leave home in this packing list for families detailing what to pack for Italy in each season and essential travel gear for a family vacation in Italy.
Italy is a varied country with attractions ranging from cities to mountains to beaches and archaeological sites.
It is also a country with 4 different seasons so your Italy packing list will look very different if you are traveling to Italy in summer, winter or mid-season.
However, unless you are going skiing, hiking or planning specific activities that require technical gear, you don’t need to pack much to stay comfortable and stylish in Italy.
this is my full Italy packing list for families, the one we ourselves use whenever we go!
Packing for Italy: essential documents and must have
- Passport (for each traveler)
- Visa if applicable – check official info here
- Vaccination cert / negative test as applicable
- Child birth certificate proving relationship with the adult if traveling alone with a child with a different surname as you (usually asked at border control when leaving the country)
- Translation of necessary doctors prescriptions
- Essential medications for trasnport time and first few days, if using
- Paper copy of accommodation and tour bookings
- Basic first aid kit
- Italian phrase book
In Italy, you will need comfortable travel shoes with enough support to protect you on long days of sightseeing and a versatile look to go day-to-night.
There are many good options, so many in fact that we have two dedicated guides!
The best shoes for Italy travel (adults)
The best kids’ travel shoes for Italy (toddlers and up)
Italy packing list summer clothing essentials for familes
- Light dresses
- Light pants such as chinos for men and linen pants for women
- Strappy tops / short sleaves tops / tshirts
- Light cardigan for late summer evenings
- Good walking sandals
- Summer trainers
- Summer pajama / nightgown
- A light scarf or wrap foe evening and to cover shoulders when entering churches
- Crossbody day bag / day backpack
- Colorful necklaces for style
Please be advised that specific locations such as the Dolomites are significantly colder than destinations at lower altitudes. For that, we recommend you bring specific clothing, including hiking gear.
Family Italy packing list winter clothing essentials
- Socks + tights
- Long sleeve tops
- Woolen cardigans / sweater
- Long pants / jeans
- Thermal top (very cold days only, mountain destinations or outdoor pursuits)
- Warm winter jacket, rain proof
- Travel umbrella, lightweight
- Scarf, gloves and hat
- Winter overalls for baby
- Rain resistant trainers / ankle boots, full boots for walking
Family packing list for Italy in autumn and spring
Autumn and spring are transitional seasons with changeable weather and unpredictable temperatures.
In early spring and late autumns, you want to opt for a winter wardrobe, adding in short sleeves tops for layering and, possibly, a lighter jacket.
For late spring and early autumn, you want to have a more summery wardrobe with the addition of a mid-season jacket and a scarf for evenings and colder days.
Our mid-season must-haves include:
- Underwear, socks, tights
- Short and long sleeve tops
- Cardigan / sweater
- Long pants (denim or chinos work well)
- Mid season jacket, ideally rainproof or at least rain resistant
- Lightweight travel umbrealla
- Light scarf
- Rain resistant sneakers
Toiletries and personal hygiene
In Italy, you can buy good quality toiletries and personal hygiene products in supermarkets (budget end of the product spectrum), pharmacies, (higher-end and organic options), perfume shops (high end).
The cost varies so it is advisable to bring at least some essentials so you don’t find yourself out of pocket.
- Shower gel (usually provided in B&Bs and hotels)
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Shampoo and conditioner for kids if different
- Shaving kit
- Hydrating cream (body and face)
- Hair ties
- Make up
- Make up remover
- Sun screen
- After sun (summer only)
- Additional dental kit accessories if using
- Body fragrance
- Feminine hygiene products
- Baby diapers
- Wet wipes
- Face masks
Italy packing list for families: baby gear
- Good travel stroller or all terrain stroller – you can find our recommended strollers for Italy here
- Portable car seat / booster seat depending on age
- Kids travel pillow
- Portable high chair for restaurants
- Baby carrier – find our recommended baby carriers for Italy here
- Changing bag /diaper bag or backpack
- Portable crib if not using those provided by the hotels
Italy packing list for beach days
- Beach dress / cover
- Flip flops
- Beach towel
- Sun hat
- Beach tent or sun shade (especially if traveling with babies or toddlers)
- Reusable water bottle
- Beach bag
- Floaters and beach toys for kids
- Sun screen and after sun lotion
- Water shoes for kids (especially for pebbled and rocky beaches such as those in Capri or Cinque Terre)
- Snorkeling gear for kids
Technology and electronic gear
- Phone charger
- Travel adapter for Italy / continental Europe
- Portable power bank
- Kids tablets if using
- Portable wifi spot
- Extra memory card for camera
- Drone if using (please always check local regulations and always get appropriate permits. Bring them with you when flying)
Family packing list for Italy: bags and Luggage
- Main bag
- Crossbody day bag – I love Gabs bags as they are very spacious and versatile, easily going from day to night
- Day backpack
- Diaper bag or diaper backpack for baby gear
- Extra wet and dry bags for emergencies
I hope you found this family packing list for Italy useful and it helped you plan what to carry with you and what to leave home. Safe travel planning!